The only way to become a professional is to discipline yourself to think, speak, look and act like a professional.
Example 1: If you want to be a professional salesman, you must think, speak, look and act like a professional salesman.
Example 2: If you want to be a professional Principle Technologist, you must think, speak, look and act like a professional Principle Technologist.
You must be aware of the business circumestances of the society and the following can help:
- Read newspapers/magazines/books about business
- Watch TV programs about business
- Check websites about business such as http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/default.stm
- Listen to radio
I suggest spending at least 20 minutes every day for this.Industry Awareness
You must be aware of the
- Latest technologies e.g. ASP.NET MVC
- Future technologies e.g. SQL Server 2010 code named Kilimanjaro
- Available market tools/products and their prices to resolve problems e.g. NUnit, NMock
- New product releases e.g. Windows 7.0
- Competitors, their products and prices
The following can help to gain this knowledge:
Microsoft PDC is where Microsoft announces many new technologies and releases.
You gain lots of infomation about asp.net